Brison Report - October 2, 2009
Friday, October 02, 2009
Scott participated today in the official opening of Phase 1 of the MacInnis Trail in Shubenacadie, N.S.
Two years after Dr. Ross MacInnis offered some of his land for a walking and hiking trail, the Shubenacadie Community Development Association officially opened the MacInnis Trail today. Congratulations to the Trail Committee consisting of Chair George Ettinger, George Searle, Les Peasey, Terry Bogle, Jeff Van De Reit, Bruce Harvey, Jeff Goldrup, John Knol and Gordon Spares and a big thank you to Dr. MacInnis!
The last week....
Monday, September 28
- Scott returned to Ottawa where the House was sitting all week
- appearance on CBC Newsworld to disccuss the government's economic update
- meeting with officials regarding climate change policies and cap and trade systems
Tuesday, September 29
- meeting of the Liberal rural caucus
- House Duty 10am-2pm
- meeting with Biotec Canada
- meeting with representatives of the Canadian Museum Association
Wednesday, September 30
- meetings of the Atlantic and National Liberal Caucus
- interview with Embassy Magazine
- Questions and a statement in the House on the softwood lumber ruling against Canada that represents a significant setback for the struggling softwood lumber industry. Scott said: "How can Canadian forestry workers have any trust in a government that is too incompetent to defend their interests?" Read the questions HERE.
Thursday, October 1
- House Duty 10am-2pm
- meeting of the Standing Committee on International Trade
- return to N.S. in the evening
Friday, October 2
- official opening of the MacInnis Trail in Shubenacadie
- meetings in Windsor
- evening thank you reception for Kings South Liberal candidate Paula Howatt
On Saturday Scott will be attending the monthly breakfast at the Belmont Community Hall and then the Windsor-West Hants Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off at 10:00 a.m. at the Windsor Exhibition grounds. He will be the guest speaker in the afternoon at the South Shore Liberal Association nomination meeting in Bridgewater. In the evening he will be at the Royal Canadian Legion in Noel for the 50th Wedding Anniversary open house for Alton and Edna Singer.
On Sunday he will be attending the opening of the New Minas Family Fall Fun Day at the Lockhart Ryan Park. And on Monday, it's back to Ottawa for the week!
In the news.....
Chronicle Herald (Tuesday, September 29)
"The fact is the Harper government has failed to ensure that funds are flowing to projects at a time when an unprecedented number of Canadians are losing their jobs," Liberal MP Scott Brison said Monday. "They refuse to provide the real truth on when the projects are actually started."
Winnipeg Free Press ( Tuesday, September 29)
"Conservatives promised us peace in their time but they have utterly mismanaged the softwood lumber file," said Brison. "Instead of heading off a dispute that was months in the making, they did nothing."
CBC News (Wednesday, September 30)
Liberal trade critic Scott Brison remained skeptical about any impending deal.
"We would have to review any potential deal because [Prime Minister] Stephen Harper declared victory on Buy American six months ago, and we all know that there was no validity on that."Scott and local students (l-r) Jami Campbell and Olivia Devine at the Lantz Fall Fun Day on September 19th.
24 Harbourside Dr., Suite 101A
Tel: (902) 542-4010
Toll Free (NS): 1-888-585-0550
Fax: (902) 542-4184
Monday to Friday
9:00 to 12:30
1:30 to 4:30
Ottawa Office - Scott Brison, M.P.
915 Confederation Building
House of Commons
Tel: (613) 995-8231
Fax: (613) 996-9349